The chairman of a San Francisco-based private equity firm is now suing his ex-partner for defamation after she accused him of violently attacking her at their Aspen home last year, DailyMail.com can reveal.
Genstar Capital chairman Jean Pierre Conte fired back at former girlfriend Hillary Thomas in a counter complaint filed last week, branding her assault allegations ‘pure fiction’ and an attempt at financial gain.
Thomas had claimed Conte ‘beat her naked body’ as she ‘begged for her life’ during an incident at their shared home in January 2022, in an assault and battery lawsuit filed in Colorado last month.
The suit demanded unspecified amount in damages from Conte, who Thomas accused of being verbally and physically abusive during their 10-year relationship and then launching a smear campaign against her after she refused to reconcile.
Jean Pierre Conte has responded to his former girlfriend Hillary Thomas’s suit (pictured together) in which she claimed he ‘beat her naked body’ as she ‘begged for her life’ in January 2022
In court filings obtained by DailyMail.com, Conte denies Thomas’s allegations and paints her as a spending addict who had used him for his money
Conte vehemently denied the claims in a response filed last Thursday obtained by DailyMail.com in which he also paints Thomas as a spending addict who is obsessed with status and wealth and had used him for his money.
‘She kept coming back for more and more money and the next thing he knew he gets these accusations against him,’ his attorney Patricia Glaser told DailyMail.com.
‘In the end he had to choose between her and his children. She kept criticizing his children – and I don’t mean constructive criticism, but name calling and ugliness.’
In the suit, Glaser wrote: ‘Ms. Thomas’s portrayal of Mr. Conte as violent and physically abusive is pure fiction. Her allegations are false. There was no physical abuse or attack, as Ms. Thomas alleges.’
She said that Thomas ‘only came forward with her false account – alleging for the first and only time that Mr. Conte attacked her – after their relationship had ended, when Mr. Conte said no to Ms. Thomas’s increasing demands for money and put an end to her efforts to alienate him from his own children.’
Speaking to DailyMail.com, Glaser said: ‘Jean Pierre is stunned and disappointed that Hillary feels the need to make these false claims and that they are now embroiled in litigation.
‘However, he needs to protect his family and himself. Our complaint speaks for itself.’
The pair began dating in 2012 and integrated their two families, with the designer parenting Conte’s four children and Conte showering her with massive amounts of money, according to the documents.
‘Over the course of their relationship, Mr. Conte provided Ms. Thomas with millions of dollars, believing their relationship to be a loving one,’ his filing states.
‘It is now clear that Ms. Thomas did not share that same sentiment and only used Mr. Conte for his money.
‘He is a loving and caring father, family member, and friend with no history of violence or abuse.
Conte is the head of Genstar Capital, a private equity firm worth $49 billion. Hillary Thomas is an interior designer
According to the documents, the two then entered into a cohabitation agreement in 2015 in which Conte agreed to provide his partner an annual tax-free gift of $250,000 for personal expenses when he was not around – a payment which would later be increased to $375,000 at her request
The agreement also entitled Thomas to $1million tax-free for each year they were together since signing the 2015 deal in the event they broke up
‘Ms. Thomas, on the other hand, has a history of lying, and being dishonest and deceitful, especially as it relates to her addiction to wealth, status, and spending money.’
The couple first split in early 2021 but briefly reunited late that year before finally parting ways the following January, days after the alleged assault.
Thomas claimed in her filing that Conte had broken down a door after they returned home from dinner on January 8, 2022 and began ‘beating her naked body, pinning her down as she begged for her life and slamming her against the wall, all resulting in significant physical harm.’
She claimed she suffered blunt force bruises over her body which, according to her, were ‘excruciating’.
In his filing Conte presented a completely different version of events from that night which he claims began when Thomas, ‘under the influence of alcohol and medication became verbally abusive toward Mr. Conte and his son’ at a restaurant in Aspen.
‘Ms. Thomas began screaming at Mr. Conte and they left the establishment. Mr. Conte asked that she wait while he got the car. Instead, Ms. Thomas – in her altered state – began the approximately seven-minute walk home through icy roads and sidewalks.
‘Upon his return, Ms. Thomas falsely accused Mr. Conte of leaving her behind and told Mr. Conte that she had fallen on the ice, which is how her injuries and bruises, if any, were caused (if not caused by Ms. Thomas falling while skiing).
Hillary Thomas in a social media post promoting her interior design business
Jean Pierre Conte, seen here, is the head of Genstar Capital, a firm worth $49 billion
‘Mr. Conte asked Ms. Thomas to stay away from his family, went upstairs and went to sleep. There was no physical attack as Ms. Thomas now falsely alleges.’
The countersuit goes on to say that shortly after their break-up on January 10, Thomas demanded Conte buy her a $9million house, cover the costs of the house for 30 years, and pay her medical bills for life.
When he refused, Thomas ‘falsely accused’ him of abuse for the first time through a letter from her attorney. When Conte said he had been shocked by the claims, Thomas replied, ‘it’s just a letter,’ the filings state.
‘He paid for all this and when the money stopped we got this kind of ugliness. That is the big thing that pushed him over the edge. He was very generous with her and her family,’ Glaser told DailyMail.com.
‘He gave her “pocket money” of $375,000 a year but she kept asking for more. On top of that she used his credit card without his permission to buy even more.’
Conte’s lawyers claim in court papers that he met Thomas while she was in the midst of a divorce and was ‘in debt’, and had agreed to cover the $400,000 in attorneys’ fees she incurred in the divorce, in addition to providing her with a Range Rover and a place to live.
Sources with knowledge of the situation told DailyMail.com say Conte had showered Thomas with lavish gifts, among them a 13-karat diamond ring, a house and her children’s education.
The two then entered into a cohabitation agreement three years later in which Conte agreed to provide his partner an annual tax-free gift of $250,000 for personal expenses when he was not around – a payment that would later be increased to $375,000 at her request, according to the filings.
The agreement also entitled Thomas to $1million tax-free for each year they were together since signing the 2015 deal in the event they broke up.
The couple eventually split in the spring of 2021, with Conte paying Thomas the $5million that August, before reuniting later that year and then breaking up for good the following January.